This is the highest role in the Infrastructure and Operations (I&O) function within Information Technology (IT), accountable for IT I&O throughout the organization. The IT Director of I&O is responsible for the delivery of all IT infrastructure and related IT operations used to enable business capabilities and services across the enterprise, including servers and storage, network operations, backup and disaster recovery, and the IT Service Desk.
The head of I&O brings current knowledge and future vision for transforming the I&O function including its strategy, service offerings and workforce. The role holder is a senior stakeholder in all relationships with externally sourced infrastructure and operations capabilities.
As a key member of the senior IT leadership team this role contributes to the development and execution of the enterprise wide IT strategy and is responsible for ensuring I&O strategy is fully aligned, positioning I&O to deliver compelling business value.
- Sets the mission, vision, and strategy of the I&O organization to maximize the success of business and IT enterprise initiatives.
- Introduces innovative, differentiating infrastructure and operations capabilities that enhance our overall competitive capabilities and enhance employee productivity.
- Leverages cloud and outsourced infrastructure services where appropriate, taking into account requirements, capabilities, and cost structures.
- Works with the IT senior leadership team on the service portfolio and governance required to prioritize resources, including budget.
- Builds successful stakeholder relationships with other IT and business leaders by developing a clear understanding of business needs, acting as a trusted advisor, and ensuring cost-effective delivery
- of IT services to meet those needs.
- Creates and aligns an I&O value map by linking targeted business outcomes with the future-state business capabilities required to achieve them.
- Collaborates with the Office of the CIO to develop and control the I&O components of the IT budget to ensure that they are consistent with overall strategic objectives of IT and the enterprise, and are within plan.
- Defines, develops and manages a comprehensive and integrated ITSM landscape, based on best-practice processes, disciplines and related toolsets.
- Collaborates with the Director of Information Security and Risk to ensure I&O embraces and applies security strategy.
- Operates a formal governance mechanism to establish and monitor effective controls for the processes and functions performed by I&O teams. Supports periodic reviews by internal audit, compliance teams and other risk-related functions as required.
- Leverages influencing and negotiation skills across IT and the enterprise to enable cost-effective and innovative shared solutions in the achievement of business goals.
- Provides direction on what emerging technologies should be incorporated into I&O products and services to successfully deliver overall IT strategy.
- Champions I&O involvement in the IT organization's innovation efforts and its role in experimenting with new solutions to take advantage of business opportunities.
- Provides strategic direction and oversight for the full life cycle of design, development, operation and support of IT systems.
- Directs the development of an I&O sourcing strategy and provides executive oversight for strategic vendor and partner relationship management.
- Works with HR and the IT leadership team to develop and execute workforce plans that ensure I&O can supply skilled resources to meet current and future demand.
- Develops the maturity of I&O to improve efficiency, deliver new innovations and increase collaboration with other business areas (e.g., through Agile and DevOps).
- Drives the adoption of (and commitment towards) service improvements.
- Serves on IT planning and policymaking committees; drives the development of enterprise technology standards, governance processes and performance metrics.
- Reports to the CIO
- Business unit executives and senior managers
- Peers and other direct reports to the CIO, such as Application Development, Service Management, Information Security and Digital Business & Innovation
- Office of the CIO (OCIO)
- Direct reports to this role responsible for I&O business management, engineering, and IT operations and support
- Sourcing and vendor management leads
- Project Management Office (PMO) program and project managers
- Vendors and technology leaders in other companies